What is Dragon Fruit? And From Where Dragon Fruit From?
Dragon fruit is a Beautiful pink tropical fruit. Dragon Fruit from native to southern Mexico and Central America that has become increasingly popular in recent years. It is called by many names It goes by many names, including pitaya, pitahaya, and strawberry pear.
Dragon fruit is a food that grows on a climbing cactus called Hylocereus. The fruit has the appearance of a hot pink or yellow bulb with spike-like green leaves shooting up like flames around it and the inner pulp vary from white to Dark pink. And every variety has low sweetness with low sugar content but some variety contains high sugar .
Dragon fruit is slightly sweet juicy taste that some describe as a cross between a kiwi.
Dragon Fruit Nutrition
Nutrient content of dragon fruit per 100 gm
- Calories: 60
- Protein: 1.2 grams
- Fat: 0 grams
- Carbs: 13 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Vitamin C: 3% of the RDI
- Iron: 4% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 10% of the RDI
Dragon Fruit is considered low calorie & highly nutrient-dense fruit.
Antioxidants in dragon fruit
Dragon fruit is high in fiber &contains several antioxidants that protect your cells from damage. These include betalains, hydroxycinnamates, and flavonoids.
Antioxidants protect your cells from damage by free radicals — molecules that can lead to diseases like cancer and premature aging.
Types of Dragon Fruit & Dragon fruit season
Dragon fruit from native Mexico but it’s been cultivated throughout the world And some new variety also been introduced. August and September are the peak months for most varieties of dragon fruit however, varieties of Selenecereus megalanthus produce fruit during the winter months of November through February. The most common types are…
- Hylocereus undatus or pitaya blanca pink/red skin, white flesh, and black seeds
- Hylocereus costaricensis or pitaya roja pink/red skin, red flesh, and black seeds
- Hylocereus megalanthus or pitaya amarilla yellow skin, white flesh, and black seeds
Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit
- it’s naturally fat-free and high in fiber. It makes for a good snack for the afternoon and evening because it can help keep you full for longer between meals
- Dragon fruit contains prebiotic fiber that promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria in your gut and helps to promote healthy digestion
- this fruit also helps in type 2 diabetes
- Dragon fruit helps in strengthening your immune system as Dragon fruit is high in vitamin C and other antioxidants, which are good for your immune system.
- Dragon fruit contains iron & It can boost your iron levels. Iron is important for moving oxygen through your body and giving you energy, and dragon fruit has iron. It also helps in increasing red blood cells as iron is very essential for the formation of red blood cells.
Dragon fruit for skin
Dragon fruit contains vitamin c and several other nutrients which are good for health. But some of them are really good for skin-related problems like ACNE.
How to use dragon fruit to the skin for Better results – scoop out the pulp and rub it on areas that have acne spots or active acne. Simple but effective some of the Bollywood stars are also using.
Not only Dragon Fruit provide a natural radiance to your skin, but dragon fruits are also known to treat sunburns. Mix 1/4th dragon fruit with a capsule of vitamin E and apply it on your skin. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash it thoroughly with cold water.
Dragon fruit For Type 2 Diabetes
In traditional and alternative medicine treatments, dragon fruit has been used to treat hypertension, and the seeds have been demonstrated to help regulate blood glucose levels, making dragon fruit potentially useful specifically for type 2 diabetes prevention and management.
Dragon Fruit adverse effects
Overall dragon fruit is safe to eat and provide various healthy benefits but sometimes it causes mild side effects
- isolated allergic reactions.
- swelling of the tongue
If you eat enough red dragon fruit, it might turn your pee pink or red but its not alarming condition to health
How do you eat and cut dragon fruit?
To prepare the dragon fruit, cut it into quarters. Peel away the skin or remove the flesh with a spoon or ice cream scoop, or melon baller. Don’t eat the outer skin
Check out the below Video for some guide !!
Dragon fruit is easy to eat and can be paired with a different salad and can be eaten as an evening snack as it provides continuous energy. And can make your own recipe as well as u like.
Above video belongs to the respected owner so kindly check out for easy tips.
Check out my other Informative Article as well on Golden Milk A new Super Drink.